Friendship is like a second chance in choosing people to live your life with. We do not get to choose our family, but we do get to choose our friends. If it weren’t for our friends to comfort us, make us laugh and give us a shoulder to lean on, our lives would’ve been much different. Friends give us the courage to face all the ups and downs, teach us how to give, share, respect and love. However, true friends do not grow on trees nor can be dig out of soil as potatoes. You may have a plenty of goods friends, but a true best friend with whom you share the same life-formula is really rare. The first rule of finding a great friend is to be the friend you’d like to have. Here are the 7 essential qualities to look for in a best friend for a successful, fulfilling and ever-lasting friendship.
1. Listens You with Presence, Empathy and Acceptance: This is probably the most important quality of a true best friend, but it is also the least common quality to find. A true best friend is never tired of listening to you, regardless of how many times you’ve already told the story. Fully present, with empathy and complete acceptance, a great friend would also ask a follow-up question or two to make sure you know they’re really listening.
2. Is Real and Honest All the Time: An honest and straightforward opinion is all that you want from your best friend, not a diplomatic approach and some silly lies. Unfortunately, there are many friends who pretend to be the friend you want them to be, creating a false image of themselves in your eyes. But sooner or later, you’re going to find out and get rid of them. The only way to build a strong and long lasting friendship is to be open and honest with each other.
3. Knows How to Make You Laugh: One of the many blessings of having a best friend is having and making jokes that only you can laugh on. Not everyone can make you fall down on the floor laughing. Only a truly good friend knows what and when to crack up a joke, whether a personal one or from shared experience. A good friend can paint a smile on your face even when you’re going through a difficult time.
4. Believes in You: A true best friend believes in you and your choices 100%. There are many times when we’re lacking self-confidence to do something, but with a good friend to encourage you and tell you that he\she believes in you, there is nothing you can’t do. A best friend is right there when you need motivation to get back on your path.
5. No Judging: You’ve decided to dye your hair blue, so what? You’re calling them drunk in the middle of the night and they know where to come to pick you up. They won’t judge you for getting drunk and they won’t think any less of you, but help you instead. A best friend wouldn’t judge you, even for your incredibly foolish choices and decisions.
6. Supports You: A best friend is there for you because they want to, not because you asked them. Whether this means coming with you on a boring seminar out of town or shouting your name as loud as possible during a karaoke night, a true best friend always got your back, without asking them to.
7. Loves You Unconditionally: One of the most important qualities of a true friend is to love you unconditionally. This means that they have accepted you for exactly who you are, know your strengths and weaknesses and loves you on your best and worst days.