UPS power supply provides a number of great benefits to both business and home use, keeping the computer and electronic systems vital and running through a short power outages and preventing damage from possible power loss.
Using an uninterruptible power supply also has a great number of disadvantages, especially in the initial and maintenance costs. These costs create a significant investment for both home and commercial use, requiring many many batteries.
You can buy UPS power supply from a reliable computer and electronics store or you can do a research and buy UPS device from a trustworthy online store specialized in computer and networking equipment.
Advantages Of Using Uninterruptible Power Supply
- Maintenance Of Power – The most obvious and important advantage of having a UPS power supply is the maintenance of power to all computer and electric systems in the event of a power outage.
- Continuity Of Operation – The most basic feature that one UPS power supply can offer is continuity of operation. When the UPS system is plugged into an AC wall outlet, maintains a power on its batteries during normal operation. The built – in electronics detect when there is a loss of external power and directly switch the UPS power supply from wall power to AC power that is produced through its batteries. By switching to battery power, the UPS device prevents momentary power glitches from resetting equipment, and in case of a long term outage, gives the operators a chance to shut down the whole electrical equipment in an safe manner.
- Surge Protection – Another essential feature of an uninterruptible power supply is surge protection. Due to its circuitry, a UPS device constantly monitors the incoming voltage, senses spikes and surges with outages. So, if non of these harmful conditions present themselves to the UPS, the UPS power supply will switch to AC power, preventing power spike from reaching the connected to it devices. When the surge power or spike is gone, the UPS device reconnects its output to the coming power from the wall.
- Line Interactive UPS – The improved form UPS, the line interactive UPS is created to clean the incoming power before sending it to the output. By adjusting its output, this line interactive UPS device can ensure that the whole electronic systems are not subject to power failure.
Disadvantages Of Using Uninterruptible Power Supply
- StartUp Cost – Installing a UPS power supply requires a huge startup investment. Even one UPS device for home use can cost you hundreds of dollars, and a corporate startup on a large scale runs to ten thousand of dollars. All these installations require an infrastructure setup that can bring the total setup cost of over $ 100 000.
- Infrastructure – The home UPS devices does not require more setup than the standard surge protector, but the large corporate UPS devices bring more additional considerations. Attaching numerous UPS batteries to the existing wiring system must be done by a professional electrician. These UPS systems additionally require special ventilation care.
- Maintenance Cost – Unfortunately, the UPS batteries do not last forever. Depending on the battery model, the UPS batteries can last about five or ten years, after which the old batteries require proper disposal, so new batteries must be purchased.
- Energy Use – In order to keep the UPS batteries charged all time, the uninterruptible power supply system should draw more power than the demand of the attached equipment. All this causes enormous waste of power that is significant additional cost.